Number of Days:
Two 8-hour days (face-to-face training course), or three 5-hour sessions on 3 different days (online training courses).
This training course is also available on-site upon request.
Summary of course content: This training course will provide the attendee with a strong understanding and knowledge of the HL7 version 2 standard.
Much of the operation of a healthcare enterprise relies on administrative and/or order information generated by HL7 messages.
All relevant HL7 messages will be explained in detail using real-life scenarios.
Who Should Attend: This training course is aimed at those that require an introduction to the HL7 Version 2 standards,
designed for those who need to implement it, and for those that need to understand how it will impact their system integration strategy.
It is a practical and hands-on 2-day training course which is aimed at helping those involved with the design, development,
implementation, deployment and support of systems that use (or will use) the HL7 Version 2 standard.
Learning goals: Upon completion of this training course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the core components of the HL7 version 2 standard.
- Find their way around the documentation.
- Create, edit and troubleshoot HL7 messages.
Prerequisites: Attendees should have some knowledge of data modelling and be familiar with processes in healthcare provider organizations.
- Historical Perspective
- Foundation: Dynamic models
- Trigger Events
- Message exchange paradigms
- Foundation: Static (content) models
- Abstract Message Structure, Fields, and Components
- Data Types
- Encoding Rules: Classic and XML syntax
- Z-Segments, Extensions to HL7
- An Overview of the version 2 documentation
- Profiles and localization
- Conformance and HL7 Tools
- Testing, programming APIs
- Commercial and Public Domain tools
- Use of HL7 version 2 in key domains
- Patient Registration Details
- Observation Reporting and Order Entry
- IHE: process, profile development, Connectathon
- Radiology HL7 version 2 based workflow profiles (SWF, PIR)
- Laboratory HL7 version 2 based workflow profiles (LTW, POCT)
Ringholm will provide each participant with handouts containing all materials covered in the training as well as other support materials.
The participants will receive a copy of the HTML version of the latest HL7 v2.X standard.
Faculty: Rene Spronk,
Christof Gessner, (and/or other tutors, depending on the location and language of the training course).